Thursday, August 03, 2006

So in love...


My new running shoes are simply the bomb. Though I admit to being sorely tempted by Nike's new iPod/sneaker/pacer combo (you even get to chose a "power song" that will play when you need a boost), I am, for better or worse, an Asics kinda girl. I spent two hours trying on various shoes at the two running stores in town and using innappropriate language to convey my satisfaction level with each pair ("These aren't cuddling me right...I want a pair that cuddles me better.") I tried on a bunch of Brook's (toddler shoes), New Balance (Never Buy), and finally the updated versions of my much-beloved Asics.

It was so right, baby, so right.

In my travels, I also found that the running store up the road from me is carrying a (teeny-tiny) women's plus section, and nabbed meself a nifty pair of knee-length compression shorts. Of course, they're only black, so when worn with my favorite blue bra top, I feel I must appear as a gentle blue planet about to be sucked into the GIANT BLACK VOID OF SPACE, which is actually my ass.

Speaking of asses, I almost laughed mine off when I reviewed the requirements for "Athena" runners (Athena is a competition class of larger women, as Clydesdale is for men) - 135. That's right, if you're over 135 and a woman (of any height) I'm in your competition class. Ha! Try running our race carrying two bags of dog kibble, ya wusses...