Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's getting strange in here

I am in love with my compost piles.

Yes, I know it's a bit odd, but I could really see myself getting to be one of those women who advocate for environmental causes, and, like, knit a million worms.

http://www.wormwoman.com/acatalog/knit_a_worm.html

I'm still composting tissues (hey, it's sneezy in Michigan), and I'm composting paper towels (and the rolls), brown paper bags, dog poop (yeah, that's right...we got a lot of it), rabbit poop, paper egg-cartons, cardboard, and the millions of index cards Alexis has produced over the course of her boards prep. I don't want to compost junk mail or laser-printed stuff, I just don't know what's in the ink...but other than that, everything's fair game. It occurred to me that it would be an exceedingly good idea to compost newspaper rather than recycle it. Recycling takes a huge amount of energy and water, and uses tons of nasty shit like chlorine to make it appear as if the paper is brand new when it isn't. Composting, on the other hand, uses very little energy, very little water, and makes good delicious happy stuff for the earth instead of poisoning it further. Tough choice.