Friday, March 31, 2006

Sudoku

I'd been avoiding this - a Sudoku obsession. Not that I didn't think the puzzle would be interesting, but because I hate liking things that lots of other people like. (This is why it took me so long to get into Harry Potter and even LOTR, and now look at me.)

I like Sudoku, though. I mean I really, really like it. It makes me happy when I'm doing it, and I think about it sometimes when I'm not doing it. I broke down and bought myself a small puzzle book (with lots of easy ones, because I'm not that good at it yet), and have been working puzzles on planes, in buses, on the couch, in bed. I've discovered something terrible about it: Sudoku makes me absolutely ill, whether I am sitting still or not. Karen says it does the same thing to her, maybe it's the constant eye motion?

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it, but it's making me nauseated every time I do one. Eventually, I assume I'll eventually develop a sort of Pavlovian response: that every time I work a puzzle I'll begin to drool and then throw up.

I showed Alexis how to solve one yesterday, and after only a few minutes she stopped me and said: "I see. This is neither difficult nor interesting -- merely tedious."

Ah, sweet, sweet tedium.