Friday, November 04, 2011

On losing weight and being game


Between last fall and this fall I've lost about 50 pounds.

It's not so much that I see my body much differently. I still look the same to me as I ever have...though I can see the change in my face. The picture on the left is from our 2010 trip to England, and the picture on the right is from today - from my desk (I am sick, by the way).















What has really changed, is that suddenly, after all these years, I AM GAME.

I am game for it, man.

I was never game. Not as a kid, not as an adult. Kids would start to race and I would yell: "I'm not racing!"

Well, I'm still kind of like that -- I don't like to compete and when I do I expect to roundly lose, which is often the case. However, as a grown-up, I have found out that - surprise! - this is not the only way to be physical. I have run, on and off, for years, but I've never liked it. But, this year, being game as I am, I experimented and found two things that I am head-over-heels for: Snowboarding and Stand-Up Paddleboarding.




I didn't know.
I didn't know that by being game, I would find so much joy.
I didn't know, but I'm happy I know now.